Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Snowy Sunday

Snow again


This week we have had blue skies but cold winds. It is very frustrating, it is supposed to be spring. I have a good friend who moved back to Hungary and boasts about unusually warm September weather. It is annoying because I want to exercise, but the cold wind puts me off. I decided today that I would rug up,  and go walking anyway. It was magical, I walked up my mountain with snow drifting down. Snow on the trees and bushes makes it look great. It was the first day of daylight saving so I had plenty of light. I look forward to using the extra hours of daylight to exercise in the out doors.
Brothers & sisters in need
Today at Church was our "Mission Sunday". We had a DVD and a couple who were our guest speakers. They have been involved in a children's village in Zimbabwe. This village looks after 101 orphans. I have always been interested in this project. There is a farm as part of it and they are working toward being self-sustainable. The statistic that hit me in the DVD presentation was that in the southern African continent there are an estimated 13 million orphans. Now if you add to that the humanitarian disasters in the northern part of Africa, you have a massive number of desperately needy people. If you stop and think about it such a massive need makes the things we in NZ gripe about pale into insignificance. I have people raising theological questions. I have people in chaplaincies trying to draw me into debates about the existence of God. People love to discuss in an academic fashion various political and economic theories. But these sorts of debates are the luxury of the rich. There is so much need, if we are human at all, we ought in this world to be trying to find ways to share our resources to help feed, give prospects and hope to desperate people. That is a deep truth whatever we believe, where ever we are. Dag Hammarskjold wrote these words...
"Human beings are like parts of a body created of the same essence. When one part is hurt and is in pain, others cannot remain in peace and be quiet. If the misery of others leaves you indifferent and with no feelings of sorrow you cannot be called a human being."
Anyway, I was reminded of the needs of the world this morning and inspired to do more to share the riches I have. I would love to go help at this village in Zimbabwe but need to work out the best use of resources. i.e. With my skills or lack of skills, is it better to give money than selfishly look for yet another adventure in life? ... we can easily use the poor for what amounts to "adventure tourism".
I appreciated the challenging input into my life this morning. They challenged by the humble example of loving creative care.

No comments: