Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Getting old...

Quick trip to Christchurch
Our son in Christchurch has been going through a bit of a difficult time, with a couple of significant transitions. I also have a sister and brother-in-law facing a tough time. My brother-in-law is battling terminal cancer. We decided that we should take a quick trip to Christchurch and touch base with both situations. We left on Sunday afternoon, travelled for two and a half hours staying the night in Timaru. (pretending to be rich in a flash motel with big spa bath)  Then on Monday we continued through to Christchurch arriving in time to pick up our son from his current workplace at around 1 p.m.  We came home today, (Tuesday) leaving Christchurch at around 1p.m. after eating our lunch in a cafe with my sister and her husband.
I don't bend like I used to...
After leading the Sunday service I raced home, changed into old clothing, picked up a ladder and some tools and went into the night shelter. There I met a colleague from the Night Shelter Trust and we explored linking the shelter TV to a proper outside antenna. To do this I had to squeeze through the "manhole" into the ceiling space about four times and crawl around in the dusty dirty ceiling. I also had to clamber up onto the roof with a ladder not quite long enough. (Don't tell anyone, but I pulled a picnic table over and put the ladder on that to make it reach the roof.)  With the help of another man and the donation of a decoder we got a great picture going on the shelter TV. The thing that got me was after I got home I was sore and tired. Tired - probably because I never sleep well on a Saturday night and for me leading a church service is a bit like running a half marathon. Sore, because I am older and I don't bend like I used to. People try to be positive about aging. They say that you are "only as old as you feel" and that it is a matter of "mind over matter".  While I try to be positive and live by the "use it or lose it" philosophy, it is undeniably true that getting old does slow you down. You simply are not as flexible as you used to be. I ached a bit and driving to Timaru was quite an effort. I used to be able to drive all day and night without feeling tired, but on Sunday night I was pleased to see the lights of Timaru. I also enjoyed a soak in the spa bath.
Lets be blunt, I have peeing issues
I have an enlarged prostate, and am waiting for a biopsy. (It will be my second experience of this) Now the interesting thing is that normally, when I am coping with the stress of work, I find myself always having to know where the nearest toilet is. I go often during the day and frequently when I have to go it is a matter of urgency. (My running friend has commented that if she can't beat me, she knows she can be assured she will catch up on me during my toilet stops) I noticed last year on our holiday in Europe this trouble disappeared over the duration of the break. I notice also that whenever I switch off from work and go away on holiday, even for this quick visit to Christchurch, I can go long stretches without toilet breaks. In fact on our trip home today I was joking with my wife that she was the one with prostate problems.  I know that the stress of my lifestyle impacts on a number of my health issues. On holiday I am so much better physically. (I wondered idly as I drove home today, if this experience is the origin of the phrase "I'm pissed off".)  I may have to say "no" to more things? It also raises the question; is it worth risking health issues to keep on working after I reach retirement age in two years time? It may well be that a change in my perspective on the things I do would make life easier?
But work never goes away... mobile phones ensure that.
While I was away I received a text that informed me that the mother of one of the St John Ambulance guys had died. From follow up texts it looks like I will be conducting a funeral in the next day or so. I could feel the "clouds of tension" already gathering as I had to stop to respond to two texts on the return journey. I'll see the guy tomorrow. What did we do before mobile phones? I guess we at least had uninterrupted breaks.
Earthquake
We were in our Christchurch motel chatting with our son. I was lying on the bed, my wife and son were seated. I heard a noise like a big truck passing, then there was a bit of an up and down rumble, then two or three sudden jerks back and forth and a rumble to finish with. It was a 4.3 earthquake something like 8k down. The crockery in the shelves rattled.  Christchurch is still having significant shakes that no doubt put people on edge. I know lots of people who think they would know what to do in an earthquake, but it all happens so quickly. I just lay on the bed, wondering how long it would go on for.  Think of the people in Christchurch. It is still sad seeing the broken houses, shops and the city.
"I've got a job for you."
We talked with my sister and her husband. He is facing terminal cancer and needs constant pain relief. He has set goals. He plans to be around for the completion of the Rugby World Cup. He has some other plans, and one includes Christmas. He is realistic though. I so admire how he is handling this. I don't know how I would be. I am sad for my sister. He is a great bloke and I would have loved them to have grown old together. I hope he's around for a while yet. It was good to catch up today.

No comments: