Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Friendship

Friendship is an interesting thing. I have had a day of it. First thing in the morning I took a friend out to the airport. We have known each other for nearly 7 years and she was going back to Australia for holidays. I arrived back at my office and an old friend who I first met when we were in our late teens and now see about once a year, had left a donation for the Christmas Day dinner. A friend then came and helped me sort out transport lists for the Christmas day dinner. I have known him for 17 years, and in recent years he has got involved in the church. Another friend from my Night Shelter Trust texted me asking if I was "in". He arrived with gifts for the Christmas Dinner and a greeting from yet another acquaintance. It was good to spend time with him. After we had completed our tasks at around 5p.m. I went down the road to purchase an afternoon tea snack. I bumped into a friend I have known for 17 years. She and I did a community and social work course together years ago. We used to go running together but we have not had contact for years now so it was good to catch up.
The thing that is the unifying factor in the experience of these friendships is that I can talk easily with the people. With my friend who spent the day with me we could chat backwards and forwards, question each other, tease each other and just feel at home as we worked. My mate from the Trust I have known a relatively short period of time but we have discovered an easy relationship where we can talk backward and forward. We wanted to open a bag and he said, "Ok where's your big knife you carry." In the short time he has known me he has learned that I am seldom without a pocket knife. When I met my friend from the social work class I found we could slip into easy relationship with each other again even though it had been years. My friend who left a donation could leave the briefest of notes knowing that I would sense the warmth behind it. It is "warming" to have such friendships and I am indeed lucky, since I am not good at keeping in touch.

1 comment:

Ruby Claire said...

The best time for acknowledging new ambitions and unfolding new views in friendly relationship is the New Season. It’s also time for rediscovering the trust and energy within you and for rejoicing in simple treats and preparing for new difficulties. This is wanting you a enjoyable 2011.



Friendship questionnaire