Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, December 26, 2011

A mixed day

On top of Flagstaff. The Otago Harbour is under that fog.

The fog started to clear from the town end of the harbour.

Looking down on Blue Skin Bay covered in sea mist

A view of "my" Mount Cargill on the way back down the hills.
A great hike
My son and I headed out early this morning to park a car about 10k on the road north of Dunedin. We then drove in another car to the "Bull Ring" a car park up a hill on the south side of Dunedin. We were going to walk the ridges that are a backdrop to the city. Over Flagstaff summit, along to Swampy Summit and down the Burns track back to the first car. We started walking at 8:15 a.m. we arrived at our parked car at 11:50 a.m. It was a great walk with lots of hills, tussock country, different track styles, and different vegetation. It was quite hot with no real breeze even though were high up. A nice morning of exercise and conversation.
Birthday lunch
We did the walk reasonably quickly because we had to go to my daughter's place for a birthday lunch. My foster daughter has her birthday on 27th December. She has severe intellectual handicaps and is now 34... I think.  She had been staying at my daughter's place over Christmas so we were gathering there for a birthday lunch. I really love how my children treat her as a sister, no questions asked. She is not their sister, she came into our family when she was 9 years old. As far as they are concerned though, she is their sister and they make a fuss of her on her birthday. I wish we all would learn to just decide to see each other as brothers and sisters, for under God that is what we are.
Sad News
My sister rang me last night to tell me that her husband was having a tough time in the hospice. I intended to go up to Christchurch tomorrow to see him and that timing seemed adequate.  As we were driving back to the other car after our walk today my cell phone went. My brother was ringing to tell me my brother-in-law was low and expected to go in the next 48 hours. I began to make arrangements to see if I could go today. (I needed a new supply of blood pressure pills and had a doctors appointment arranged for Wednesday morning) After the birthday party I had a call from my niece to tell me that he had died peacefully. He and I had briefly talked about his funeral, but we had thought we would get together again before the end came. It was not to be and I am now feeling guilty about my busyness that has prevented me from catching up with him before his death.  We have managed to arrange an emergency supply of the pills so I will go up in the early hours of tomorrow. I am feeling guilty about not seeing him. I am feeling guilty about not getting to chaplaincies because I will be busy. I am feeling guilty because I will be leaving before my son and daughter-in-law leave for home. Every where I turn I seem to be neglecting something or someone. I am deeply sad for my sister, and she is my first responsibility at this point in time.

No comments: