Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sunday simmering..

Busy week
People know that I have overall responsibility for our Christmas Day dinner. Because of this I have had heaps of people saying "Busy week?" I just say "Yes- kind of." but under my breath I am saying, "Every week feels busy this year!" May be I am just getting old and can't hack the pace?
Generous people
I have felt grateful and humbled this week. I have been given over $1000 in personal donations toward our Christmas day dinner. These are from people who are not or are vaguely connected to the church. Some know me personally, others just know what we do. One man came into Space2B with an Edmonds Baking powder jar full of money. When we counted it, it came to $105. I think he is the same man who came into my office once, saying "This Church does good stuff" and dug into his tobacco pouch and dumped $100 worth of notes on my desk.

Is God interested in religion?
As I explored the subject of "Immanuel" (God with us) for today's service, quite suddenly the statement came to mind. "This means God is not so much interested in 'religion', but rather he is interested in real life." In my mind I recalled the prophet Isaiah who said something like, "Your sacrifices mean nothing to me. I am sick of your offerings... Who asked you to bring all this when you come to worship me? Stay out of my temple! ... no matter how much you pray I won't listen... See that justice is done. Defend the widows and orphans and help those in need." (Amos and Micah and others said similar things) What are the implications of God's prior commitment to people and life.
Institutions: We Christians get all wrapped up in church, and see it as the most important thing. I saw a booklet on "Christian Stewardship" the other day. It was all about giving to "the Church". I would think if God wrote the book he would be more interested in giving to the needy; or in the right use of the world's resources; or in the whole issue of sustainability.
Justice: Some Christian people in Poland have outlaid thousands of dollars to build a record breaking statue of Christ. It sounds all very holy and saintly. But put the stacks of money beside the news that a growing number of people are dying from the cold in Poland. What would God be interested in?
Ministry: When I first started chaplaincy at the fire stations a practicing Christian warned me that "You wont have any religious conversations around here. In all my years here I have never got anyone to talk religion!" He was wrong.. but I admit they are few and far between.. but I have talked about family issues, relationship issues, values, materialism, friendship, work ethics, skills, loyalty etc etc. I have loved and been loved in return. All these things are "of God".
I could go on...

I think God is interested in love, life and people. Religion has its place if it contributes to the movement of God in building love, life and people. Where it becomes wrapped up in itself it is just "Spiritual Masturbation!"

The inner city ministers have regular meetings. We usually meet in each others' churches. I thought that since one of my ministry places was the fire station I could host a meeting there. I made arrangements for a room and down we went. The Firefighters teased us a little and some of the ministers did not know how to take it. There were a lot fewer of the ministers in attendance, I suspect a fire station was out of their comfort zone. A couple said, "Why are we meeting here and not in a church?" In my devotions for the meeting I commented that for me and for God, the fire station was sacred ground just as much as the church building. There were people here who loved, received love and needed love. "God is here, this is sacred, just as a church is."

2 comments:

Neil Bradley said...

Dave
I know what you mean, and I sort of agree.
BUT as a Diocesan Stewardship Adviser, I know that God also wants us to support His Mission for us by US working through the church.These including help that can transform communities.

Best wishes
Neil

Dave Brown said...

True, but the hassle I see is that the impression often given is that that is the limits of stewardship. The Church also needs to be good stewards of the money given... It is given to God whose love knows no boundaries. To use a Teresa of Avilla picture, the church "is the pen through which God writes his word in the world" ... not an end in its self.