Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sunday speculations...





Health status...
Since I grumped about my health in the last post I need to tell you I am healthy again, and it is soooo good. On Friday night I did not mix too much with the drop-in folks because I was coping with a niggly back, a sore knee and an uncomfortable lower abdomen. On Saturday morning I awoke and apart from a bit of a sore knee and back, my tummy which had bugged me all week was OK. After doing some manual type work in the morning I decided to go for a slow walk up my mountain. It turned out faster than I had intended and my knee hurt a bit coming down, but I felt so much more alive after the exercise and bush. Tonight I went for a 7k run with my friend and realised I could still run OK. The old man is back!

Where are the Kiwis?
As I say I went up my mountain. It never ceases to surprise me how few people are walking up there. The scenery from the top is great, even if it is fog. The bush is serene. People pay big sums in gym fees to walk on a treadmill when in the city you can have this magical walk. I came across 4 groups of people, two couples, a family group and a man and his dog. The couples and the man with his dog were Americans. The family group sounded as if they were Spanish or something like that, certainly not New Zealanders. Where are the kiwis? We love to have this image of fit outdoorsy type people. But is it true?

A sad waste!
I know a lady who was to celebrate her eightieth birthday this weekend. People were coming to her town from far and near to be with her. But the party never happened. Her 18 year old grandson killed himself experimenting with sniffing petrol! She is devastated! How truly sad this is. A likable, friendly, happy young man wiped out while trying to get some extra kicks out of life. Then we have the spectacle of teenagers up north trying some sort of choking game that has and can also kill them. Why? There is a man, perhaps in his late 40's - 50's, in hospital now waiting to die. His vital organs have been so severely damaged by abuse of alcohol, drugs and smoking. I have known him for at least 20 years. He used to come into my office, have a cup of tea and chat with me. I allowed him to go up to the church piano because he would never have one of his own. He would sit playing it (jazz style) and sing. He had quite a nice crooning type voice. "I believe" was one of his favourites, and he would play the keys with the flare and flourish of an entertainer. He told me that he used to be in a musical group touring around playing at a variety of venues. He also loved to play guitar. But he has wasted his life with too much alcohol and drugs and now sadly he is dying. He was a regular at our Christmas day dinner, often at our drop-in centre and I am going to be sad he won't be around. He and I have had quite a few "adventures" over the years. Why do we do these life destroying things to make life more exciting or bearable? What are we lacking in our values, culture and lifestyle that makes us want to do such things?

I was lazily browsing the Internet the other day and noticed an article on how to get through Christmas and end of year parties without causing yourself damage through over use of alcohol. I have been drinking a tad more alcohol than I used to so I thought I better check it out. (I would still break the heart of any shareholder in a brewery or vineyard and can still say I have never been drunk) It gave the differences between men and women and a whole heap of information about what alcohol does to the body and brain. I was surprised at the information and the impact that even quite low amounts of alcohol can have. (e.g. I did not know that for women the risk of breast cancer increases. .. men to have increased risk factors) I like a beer or two, a sherry or wine. I did enjoy Polish vodka. But I do know we have a major problem with our use of alcohol in our country. Again why do we do it to such a destructive extent?

I leave you with a quotation from the great Albert Schweitzer. He was lecturing students at a graduation ceremony. He said;

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know; the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve."

It has struck me how true this is as I have observed my life and the lives of those about me recently. I am happiest serving others. ........ I am off to crack a bottle of beer now..... NZ lost the sevens rugby, the cricket team is doing no good... but life is still ok.

Photos:
- Our lone hen. She is quite a few years old, was originally one of six good layers but her mates have all died one by one of old age. She is still laying. Tomorrow six new ones arrive.
- Boring! Same old! ... shots from my mountain walk. I do enjoy the mountain it is "healing".

No comments: