Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Connectedness...


I have been stewing on this concept.- "Connectedness"

What would it mean if we lived by two simple truths...
  1. We are connected to each other throughout the world. We are in essence brothers and sisters.
  2. We are connected to the planet... we are like cells in our body, a living part of this great big organism we call planet earth.
The implications of these two statements are profound. I will be exploring this in my own thinking. I have a couple of note books in which I write quotations that appeal. Here are some on this theme.

"Human beings are like parts of a body
created from the same essence.
When one part is hurt and in pain,
the others cannot remain in peace and be quiet.
If the misery of others leaves you
indifferent and with no feelings of sorrow
You cannot be called a human being!"
(I don't know who wrote that... I think it was Dag Hammarskjold)

I was studying Maori Culture and came across these lines in an article called "My Maoriness".

"The people from my own generation
I regard as brothers and sisters,
and I also regard their children
as sons and daughters.
I have extended the philosophy
of that community to include other people.
If I am able to make people feel
warm, content, and important with few material props,
then I know I am getting closer to attaining
the qualities that are important in human relationships."
- by Rose Pere

I once had a man I was helping and supporting write me a very critical and hate filled letter. I agonised over what to reply. In my response I apologised to him if I had hurt him and explained my position to him. As part of it I laid out some important truths I believe.

"It's simple really...
... we are invited to be partners with a loving creative God....
and
we all belong together."

I also said...

"... nobody is perfect, I just try to help people to be the best that they can be..."

The letter worked because he was soon back in touch with me and remained in touch until he died. I know life is complicated, but I tend to think that the basic guidelines and directions are very simple truths that when worked out and applied can have incredible profound impacts on life and relationships.


No comments: