Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sundays burble...

God's thoughts are not our thoughts; Deny yourself, take up your cross; if you lose your life you find it. etc.

This was the theme of the reading for today's morning service. I had preacher's block during the week on this. What could I say that was new? How do you communicate the different values and ways of the eternal? I tried again but it is not easy. As I plodded around my run tonight I thought of Francis of Assisi's comment. It went something like this; "Preach the gospel in season and out of season. If necessary use words." I actually think the only way to communicate the way of Jesus, the way of the cross; the way of the servant king, is to live it out in the midst of the community. It is important too for the church in the community to be seen to be living it out. Oh well, I tried speaking about it. I hope my lifestyle goes some way to showing it.

Old people

Many in my congregation are elderly people, but this afternoon it was my turn to lead a service at Ross Home, an elderly persons' home in our town. We took the data-projector and some music videos to ensure they enjoyed some music.... But what do you say to people who could be dead next week? What do you say to people immobilised in a wheel chair and with more health and disability problems than I can imagine? They all say they love me but each time I struggle to put into words something real and relevant. Sometimes, I must admit, I have thrown together a bunch of cliches and presented these. That practice came to an abrupt halt when I fronted up one day and discovered an old time chaplain colleague of mine, in there at a relatively young age, because he was dying of cancer. I remember the sense of guilt as I stood behind the pulpit. Here was my friend in the last weeks of his life, and I had cobbled together something to fill in the time acceptably! I am much more conscientious these days.

Exercise report.

This week I have struggled with a cold. I had a small run last Sunday... a walk up a hill track and back on Wednesday.... another small run on Thursday...slightly longer one on Saturday. Tonight I ran even though it was raining. I ran 9.5k, the longest run I have done for a while and I did it well. It was persistent rain, "persisting" down all the time except for the last half k. About two thirds of the way around I saw another old bloke... perhaps a little younger than I... running the other way, with a jacket on, but looking as drenched as I was. As he closed in on me he put on this broad grin and raised both his hands in a joyful salute. I yelled at him; "You're mad too!" "Yeah! but isn't it great!" he yelled back. I had to agree. It was quite nice plodding along in the rain, but I think only slightly demented runners would understand that. I guess sometime in the future I will have to give up running, but I hope not for a while. I just loved plodding along under my breathe saying,"One, two, three and four, ... One, two, three and four....." ... and feeling the rhythm of my feet on the ground and sensing and appreciating my breathing and my body movement. I'm so glad I can still jog at the moment, it is great Sunday afternoon therapy.

No comments: