Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, June 5, 2009

People love people

We hear about all the bad news regularly but a number of experiences have encouraged me over the last week.

I saw a film called "Kicking It". It was about the homeless world cup. A movement has evolved where people gather together homeless people who are keen on soccer. They form teams and train and a selected team represents their country at a world cup event. (We are hoping to start a group in Dunedin) This film followed the experiences of various individuals from a number of countries as the prepared for and played the world cup. It was great to see what soccer did for these guys who had so little hope in their lives. What really impressed me was the love shown by the various coaches. They poured their hearts out to help their players. The Spanish team were mostly outclassed. They were made up of older street guys. But they won one game... their coach was so thrilled for them. As the team celebrated he sidled off away from the cameras crying tears of joy for these guys. It warms your heart to see such love for people.

I was at a fire station the other day and they were called to a nasty accident, and of course like a little boy, I went along for the ride. I watched as "my" firefighters and ambulance officers worked so well to extract a badly injured guy out of the mashed up vehicle. I was so impressed! They were totally focused and so totally caring. It was not just another job, they cared for the people at the scene, the people from both cars, trying their best to support and heal in a bad situation. They were simply loving... and again I was moved nearly to tears. (You don't cry around fire fighters!)

I watched as the father of the family in the other car arrived to check out his children and their mother. There was such love evident in the family that I could not help but be moved.

I stood near to the policeman who was ringing the parents of the injured young man and again he was so tactful, caring and gentle as he broke difficult news and guided them in their decisions.

There are rotten people, murderers, violent people and greedy thieves. But I think it is still true that most people are, when push comes to shove, loving, caring and supportive..... Alleluia!

No comments: