Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Running with myself as company.

Tonight was the second night in a row that I managed a run. I have not been running seriously for some weeks because of my hamstring, busyness and the nasty weather has not encouraged me to be out and about. But the last two evenings have been calm though cool and I have managed a run between 5 & 6 p.m. It is such a nice experience.

Tonight I headed out and crossing an intersection where cars were waiting for lights, I heard a voice yell, "Come on happy, get a move on!" One of "my" firemen on his way to work. Oh well, I may look funny at 60 still doing it, but I enjoy it. About three quarters of the way around I was jogging along in a world of my own and I heard feet coming up behind. A young woman went bursting past me at quite a pace. "Fancy that", I thought, "Being burned off by a woman!". Just then a voice from across the road yelled, "Speed up Dave, you're lagging behind!"  It was another fireman on the other side of the road walking home from work! Fancy being passed by a woman, and worse still a firefighter seeing it happen! I was quick to point out to him that she was about a third my age. I think she was just showing off. She diverted down another road and when we saw each other again we were about on a par, not much faster really. What will she be like at 60? 

At the kitchen at St John Ambulance on Tuesday the gathered mob were having me on about still trying to run. "You only have a certain amount of heart beats, why waste them running?" "Running is bad for you, it hurts your knees, your hips and your feet! You should be walking!" "You don't know how many runners we go to who have some sort of heart attack!" and so they went on rubbishing running and runners. Most of them, may I say, were overweight! 

I love my after work runs when I get them. Alone with my thoughts, plodding around the course I can unwind from the day, and think what I like. I can talk things through in my mind. I can reflect on the people I have shared with and our conversations. I often plan my next steps. I have insights as I dialogue with myself. I can switch off from my work mind set and get ready for the night. I love just the feeling of my heart working properly, my legs moving positively and my lungs breathing efficiently. In itself it is a great sensual experience. There is NOTHING wrong with running! I hope I can keep doing it for a long time yet.

No comments: