Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ministers have work to do too!

I want to make a public announcement... ministers have work to do! Three things prompt this out burst.

(1) I was at a chaplaincy today and they were gleefully aware that it was Friday, the end of the working week. I was introduced to the other name for Friday... "Poets day". ... (Piss off early tomorrow's Saturday) They then said, "Of course Dave, your work only starts now, the weekend is your work time isn't it?" No! Contrary to public opinion I do not work only one day a week!

(2) My office has a door off the street and people can walk in or bang on the door, sometimes blatantly asking for a cup of tea. I like this arrangement because it means I am available but... some people do not know when to leave! They will sit and pass the time of day, chatting away going from topic to topic, totally unaware that I have deadlines to meet and things to get done. I have work to do.... I may look available but if you absorb my time I have to make it up somewhere else. Today I had a deadline for a funding application, another for sorting out a church service and for thinking of a sermon... but people chatting meant my wife had to do the funding application. I will have to work long into the night to get other stuff done. Ministers do have work to do!

(3) I had someone from Habitat for Humanity ring just after 3 p.m., while I was at a chaplaincy site, and say, "Can you just pop in to ..... and pick up..... for tomorrow?" If I say "no" I am left to find work for thirty people tomorrow! I am meant to be visiting chaplaincy sites for the rest of the day! So I "rob Peter to pay Paul" and I agree to pick up the material. It gets worse too. I go to pick up the stuff, having been assured it will be all there waiting, and it's not ready so I have to call back. I can see the way this guy's mind worked. He is out of town, about 18 k away. He knows I am in town so he thinks, "Dave's a minister, he's a free agent, I'll get him to pick it up!" Bright idea! ... but No! Ministers have work to do also! Grrrrr. My chaplaincy time suffered because he at late notice placed extra responsibility on me.

I'll say it again, ministers are not sitting on their posteriors doing nothing. To run a church creatively takes time and effort, there are countless tasks to be done and people to talk with.
Ministers have work to do too!

No comments: