Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why "Dirty"?

I was driving home just now. The car in front was quite dirty.  (I washed my vehicles the other day so I can feel righteous.) The bumper sticker amused me. It read,

"If you think my car is dirty, you should spend a night with the driver?"

It reminded me of the other bumper sticker that always annoys me. It is often on the spare tire cover of a mud splattered four wheel drive. It reads,

"I wish my wife was this dirty!"

It annoys me because it assumes women are not interested and blames the woman for her lack of interest. Perhaps there is a good reason why his wife is not interested? Perhaps he is not good at lovemaking, or communicating or intimacy.

Anyway what does annoy me about the wording of these stickers is their view of sexuality. Why is a healthy, creative enjoyment of sex viewed as "Dirty"? God invented lovemaking. I am told that the Jewish people saw the sabbath as an appropriate day for lovemaking. The book of "The Song of Solomon" in the Bible is one big collection of erotic poetry. While sexuality and the erotic is abused and misused in sleazy ways, there is nothing "dirty" about a healthy interest in and enjoyment of creative lovemaking. 

I had a friend when I was a boy who helped his father farm animals. He was much more aware of "the birds and the bees" than we townies were. We were talking with him one time and he was quite innocently telling us of life on the farm. We did not know some of the terms he was using. He talked of "mating". When we questioned him, he quite wisely said, "Go ask your mother what 'mating' is." Well while I was drying the dishes with mum the next night I innocently asked Mum what "mating" was all about. Mum went red and angry. "Who told you that?" "Well he's a dirty little boy! Don't you ever say that again, get in the bathroom and I'll wash your mouth out with soap."  This was the treatment given to me if mum thought she heard me swearing. (Most often I was not swearing, I was not that stupid!?) I got "the treatment" (I still taste sunlight soap every time I see a cake of it.) but I still did not have a clue about "mating" or what I said wrong. 

I loved my mum, but that was sick and so wrong.  The Church has been and still is in some quarters, wrong for its treatment of sexuality.  True creative lovemaking is not dirty!

1 comment:

Galaxy6139 said...

I agree with you ^^ Dirty is just come out from our thought!