Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weekend worblings

A very busy week again... here are some highlights.

Monday Gardening

I had Monday off. I dug in my garden and planted Chinese snow peas, silver beet, beans, yams and potatoes. A nice day in which I experience the pleasure of being in touch with the earth.

International lunch

On Wednesday at Settlement Resource@Space2B we had a Thai guy make some Thai soup. It had heaps of mushrooms, lemon leaves, chili (you don't want to bite into that!) and some other stuff. Spicy and nice. Others from Philippines, India, Zimbabwe and other places brought finger food dishes to supplement the meal. Again really nice talking to people from the wider world.

Trimming Your Waste

On Wednesday night at Space2B we had a workshop run by Maureen Howard on waste. We learned about the incredible mountain of waste we produce in our society and some practical tips to reduce it. Maureen was not one of your super serious greenies, she is a delightful Irish woman with a sense of humour. She showed us composting and a whole lot of other ideas. Two snippets that made me laugh. I was showing her how to operate the remote for her power points and I said, "Just pull the trigger!" Quick as a wink she replied, "You don't wanna say that to a woman from Northern Ireland!" Secondly, we ran the session in the church with the communion table holding her displays and props. She was busy talking and at one stage said something like, "Oh God no!" then suddenly realised where she was, clasped her hands as if in prayer, rolled her eyes and looked toward the sky saying, "Och no! Sorry!" A good worthwhile evening.

Thursday Soccer

I joined the PACT soccer group on Thursday. We played for well over an hour. We have selected a team to go to a Wellington Street Footy festival. We put them in one team and decided to give them a tough workout. It was simply great fun. It did mean I was running around competing with men half my age and I suffered for it later... just a little stiff and sore on Thursday night.

Workplace Support 35th AGM dinner 

On Thursday evening I attended the Workplace Support AGM. (Inter-Church Trade and Industry Mission) It was a celebration in that it was the 35th AGM of the Otago-Southland region, which was the first in the country to be organised. As I sat there I realised that I was the longest serving chaplain of the present mob and that I have been a chaplain for something like 15.5 years. There have been 3 different "bosses", 3 different office locations and forever changing systems. I plod on.

Saturday Habitat Workday

I ended up being "the bloke in charge" of Saturday's Habitat for Humanity work day again. We had an amazing turn out of volunteers and finished a whole heap of jobs, and got the house painted. I was absolutely exhausted at the end of the day, but still had work to do for Sunday. I do find that having responsibility for the site means that Friday night's sleep is disturbed thinking ahead, and that having Sunday services the next day means that by Sunday lunch time I am a total wreck. I think I am doing OK as foreman, but is much easier supporting the foreman.

Sunday Pania visit.

We have a foster daughter who is quite handicapped with a condition called Rett Syndrome. She came to our church service and had a home visit to our place for lunch and the afternoon. She can't speak but has the most beautiful smile and deep beautiful brown eyes with which she looks into your "soul". Her humour and trusting love of life is always a boost to me. She loves it when I take the time to relate to her or to sing to her. It was nice to have her home today.

A fortunate life indeed.

These are just some highlights of my week. I could tell of a freezing cold walk/run in the rain today with a friend. Or drop-in centre conversations where one man with insight said that many do not know the difference between Mental health problems and Intellectual Disability. "They are two different things!" he asserted and he is right. ... and so many other conversations. As I look back, I grump and I growl but I have rich experiences of human friendship, conversation and team work. I am really truly blessed.


No comments: