Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, September 7, 2009

Thinking about time off.

I have had some time off. It was a special day for me on Sunday so my wife had arranged for us to go away. She had lined up some one to take the service for me on Sunday.

We had Friday night off from Drop-in centre. We worked up at Habitat on Saturday then headed away first to Oamaru. It was really nice soaking in the big spa bath in the motel pretending we were rich. We had vouchers for the hot pools at Tekapo so headed there on Sunday. Unfortunately when we got to the pools there was a white board saying, "Due to a power cut this facility is closed for urgent repairs." So we enjoyed the scenery, mindlessly watched films on TV and I got to watch cricket. On Monday we drove the 233K to Christchurch to catch up with our sons there. (One had a birthday.) We got there on lunchtime, enjoyed the meal he had cooked for us, visited the other son at his work, (watched him roasting coffee) picked up first son's wife from her work, spent some time with them, then headed toward home, visiting my sister on the way. It was around 360K drive home. (Around 600k driving for the day) Back at work today.

When you stop...the "crap" floats to the surface.
I have visited men in hospital at times over the years. Often these men are very busy guys whose life has been put on hold suddenly by illness. Sometimes these have been very tough guys, and too my surprise when I have visited them they have broken down in tears. One of them explained what it was like for him. He said that he had always been busy, working or active on committees etc., but when he was forced to stop and lie still in hospital "all sorts of things float to the surface of your mind." There were regrets, bereavements, stresses, failures etc. and once he stopped, while lying helpless in hospital, these things emerged in his mind and made him tearful. While he was busy they remained in his subconscious, but when he stopped they "bit him in the backside". This was true for other guys too. It is like suddenly your emotions have a chance to catch up with your mind and body. Well that's what its been like for me. Last week I took the accelerator pedal off a bit because I was headed away for a break. As I lay in bed on my break with no sermon or work to think of, my mind went to regrets I have, things I failed to do properly, people I miss and the hastening end of my career with few of the successes I had hoped for or dreamed of. So I had restless nights on my days off.

When Kids love you again.
We visited the two boys in Christchurch. It was so nice, in spite of their male macho, "don't get too carried away" behaviour, they both could not hide the fact that they were delighted to see us. They looked like they actually enjoyed talking to their old man. One pointed out the "Bridal Track" in the Port Hills of Christchurch and said, "You should come up and we'll do it some time!" For years they were accepting of me but "distant". Now they let me in and that is a warm fuzzy.

I love Cricket... and tramping.... and....?
We had "Sky" channels on the TV in the Motel at Tekapo so I started watching cricket. I have not watched cricket for ages. It was Australia verses England so I was just enjoying the skills of the game, not worried about who was winning. I was not coordinated enough to be a great cricketer, but always enjoyed playing the game, whether officially at school, or with a fruit box and bat at the local park. When we were kids we used to play it till it was so dark you could no longer see the ball coming at you. But I really fell in love with cricket when I was dumped in the deep end and left to coach school boy cricket teams for 7 years. I learned to umpire, I learned to think about field placings, and bowling length and the different skills of different people. So on the weekend I enjoyed watching the game, appreciating the drama, the skills and the nature of the game. THis got me thinking... "I should do more of this!" and "How do I fit cricket watching into my life?" That led me to think of other things that get squeezed out of my busy life. I looked at the hills and thought, "I need to fit in tramps! How? When? What do I cut out to make room for these sorts of things?" I enjoy Habitat, soccer, chaplaincies, Night Shelter involvement, jogging (when I get out and do it) Drop-in centre etc. where is there room for things like this? I have way too many things I want to do and enjoy doing. I think I will go to my grave trying to find balance in my life.

No comments: