Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Round the world in 2 hours...


We have started a new "thing" at our church. We have the back of the church open for people to visit, rest up and chat and we are promoting various workshops etc. We call it "Space2B". On Wednesdays from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. we have a special emphasis on new settlers and we call it "Settlement Resource@Space2B" We invite new settlers to NZ to visit, to chat and to receive referral information and support for the whole process of settling in a new country.  It has not been running long and we have received visits from people from Palestine, India, Jordon, Philippines, Ethiopia, China, Germany, South Africa, Thailand, Japan and probably other countries. I have thoroughly enjoyed many conversations with these folk. There are four things I have grown to appreciate.

(1) That each is proud of their heritage. One Indian, who intends to live here for life, said, "You can take an Indian out of their India, but you can never take India out of the Indian." They each love the food, the humour, the traditions and the various things that contribute to who they are in their ethnicity. Just as I am proud to be a New Zealander, so these folk, even though they have chosen for a variety of reasons to change countries, are still proud of and/or deeply attached to their homeland.

(2) That I am pleased to be living in New Zealand. While each is very attached to their homeland, they have often told of really difficult issues in their places of origin or places they have lived in throughout the world. Sometimes it has been overcrowding. Sometimes it has been corruption or unrest. Sometimes it has been law and order issues. One Thai person told of his father sleeping with a revolver under his pillow, and regular violence in traffic jams and bars. He even told of life in Sydney and the violence his friends faced and precautions they had to take. He said that at first in NZ he carried a knife with him for protection then eventually realised it was not necessary. There are issues we face as a society in NZ, but over all we have a very peaceful society with lots of opportunities for personal growth and fulfillment. In the words of Fred Dagg, "We don't know how lucky we are... mate!"

(3) I am really enjoying listening to people tell of their homelands, their experiences and their cultures. I recall seeing my first colour TV. It was showing pictures of the Commonwealth Games. Compared to the black and white pictures, the coloured ones made the whole spectacle come alive.  That has been my experience every Wednesday. Conversation with these people has been like traveling the globe, expanding my horizons, and stretching and enriching my own experience of life. They help my experience of life to become more alive. We can very easily, especially in NZ, become mono-cultured, thinking there is just one perspective on life. But talking with these people, has reminded me of the rich variety of lifestyles, traditions and cultures there are in the world. It has also reminded me that we can learn from those different perspectives and enhance our own living. 

(4) It has reminded me of the diversity, but also of the essential unity of the human race. My daughter has a video of an old M.A.S.H. program. Hawkeye and "Hotlips" are out in the field and they come across a wounded enemy soldier. Hawkeye, being a doctor begins to care for him. "Hotlips" protests, "But he's the enemy!" Hawkeye replies, "That's funny, his blood is red just like ours?" I experience this variety of people in our Space2B, and discover they really are, my brothers and sisters.

I am really enjoying the new venture in our Church life. 

 

No comments: