Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, January 11, 2010

European travel plans?

We have a son who is having a Polish wedding ceremony in Poland in July. We have said that we will get there. We look forward to meeting her family. This week we are in the process of booking our tickets to Europe. It will probably be the only time we will get there in our life. We hope to spend a few weeks there so we are wondering what would be a good use of our time? We do not have a lot of excess money to spend, but want to use what we have wisely.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there things a progressive Christian minister should see in Europe or the UK? Are there Christian ventures worth visiting. What is truly worth visiting? Are there some nice country walks to explore? Any suggestions would be welcome?

Just thought there may be more knowledgeable people out there. We have never been to Europe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave, We found Kracow very interesting. It is so old and was not bombed during the war. We never got to Auschwitz or Birkenau as Paul had already taken 3 different friends on visits there. I would still like to visit there as it is a place that the world must never be allowed to forget. It shows just how low people can go to persecute others. I also have some books you may be interested in. The Lonely Planet Poland, a book on Gdansk and another on Poland. Also happy to ask Paul and Ewa for their recommendations.

William Dunigan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anthony said...

I agree: Krakow is really interesting.

Dave, I don't know if you have time for this, but I kept a journal a few years ago about some of the places I went to in Europe.
http://golders-green.livejournal.com/
You could use "Find" to locate my first Krakow entry -- Krakow (on Jan. 28th, 2006) -- then scroll up to get parts 2, 3, and 4. I described what I saw in the death camps.

A few weeks? You could spend them all in London and barely scratch the surface.

You love your hiking, so maybe you'd get a kick out of the Cinque Terre walk on the coast of Italy. I loved it. It's a very easy walk for outdoorsy Kiwis.

Walks in the English countryside are beautiful.

But this is such a huge subject...