Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, January 15, 2010

Sexism!

It is Friday evening and our normal Friday night Drop-in centre has not started for the year. I went for a walk and had my dinner in front of TV. There was a comedy on, "Are we finished yet".  I saw the first one ("Are we there yet") last week I think. But now two children mum and step dad are a family. The thing that annoys me is that the laughs are all on the male. He is made out to be a bumbling stupid oaf, going from one disaster to the other. The mum is seen as wise, level headed etc. Let me let off steam. How many stupid comedies follow the same line? So called family comedies always have the man as somehow bumbling and stupid and the theme goes from one stupid act to the next... big laugh. TV sit-coms often follow the same formula. Tim the tool man was depicted like this. There was a women's magazine that had a column called "Mere Males" and women wrote in with their "Stupid male" stories. All good fun. ... I say "No!" 

If the roles were reversed and women were the ones poked fun at so often there would be hell to pay! The PC brigade would be madly writing to TV stations and film makers yelling sexism. In my job I hear stories from a lot of men and they feel like that at home. The wife calls the shots. "Are you going fishing this weekend?" "No my wife has a list of jobs for me." "Where are you going for a holiday?" "I would love to go..... but my wife has me going to....." Wander around any mall and you will see wife striding down from shop to shop and husband obediently two steps behind (The proper place for the subservient male) looking as bored as.  You can see them sitting restlessly in the seats that shopping malls sometimes provide, waiting obediently, dreaming of what they could be doing. 

I think its time some men's liberation groups were formed. A lot of wives wield a lot of power, and men are often too scared to be assertive because then they will be called a male chauvinist, and that's evil. He is often between a rock and a hard place. If he expresses his opinion he's a nasty male ogre. If he keeps quiet, well that just goes to show that men are inarticulate and can't express their feelings, or are out of touch with their feelings. If you want us to express our feelings be prepared to listen. When men get written off again and again, they go silent and don't waste their breath.

Anyway I get sick of mindless "family" comedies that poke fun at the male in the family. I don't think they are healthy.



No comments: