Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am fortunate indeed...

I grump about my job often. There is no doubt that ministry in the NZ Churches of Christ for someone of my theological ilk is going to be tough. It is also true that trying to be a christian workplace chaplain, making conversation and "being all things to all people" in our secular culture is a difficult job. But when I think about it, it is also very interesting. I have talked with some good and interesting people today and I will share with you a list of some of them.

This morning I talked with Don the unofficial historian for the brewery. He is always interesting to chat with because he has a mind for detail and a sense of humour to go with it. While at the brewery I talked with the manager there about all sorts of things. I talked with an engineer about his plans for a bit of machinery.

I had my chaplaincy "appraisal" today with the CEO of Workplace Support southern region. She is always very positive and encouraging and we have the same questions and dreams for expressing the way of Jesus. It was an encouraging hour. We met at Starbucks and while there I had conversations with the girl who served us (the daughter of a member of our congregation.. she wraps the presents for our Christmas day dinner) a man I know who came in on his disability scooter, and another fire service employee. (It seems like there are few places I can go in town where someone does not recognise me. My wife and daughter complain about this when I am in the street with them.)

At lunch time I shared for a time in a conversation group related to sustainability, brainstormed on songs with my organist and spent half an hour meeting with my elders.There were phone conversations with people who were volunteering for Christmas day.

On my walk to the chaplaincy site this afternoon I bumped into a lawyer guy who has assisted with Christmas Day dinners and who I knew was looking for me to make a donation from his firm this year. He greeted me warmly, calling me "Dave, my boy." This afternoon I talked to reporters and photographers at the newspaper. It is very interesting learning about their jobs and the things they report on. While there I spent time with one of the editors. On my way back to the office I talked to the guy who sweeps the streets.

These are just some of the conversations I have had in my work today. As I walked down the footpath after my conversation with the street sweeper I thought, "How lucky am I!" From a manager of a brewery, to an editor in a newspaper, journalists, greenies, horse racing writers, the street sweeper and many more - such a wide range of people! - And all in their way so interesting! Who else in their work in one day would get to talk to such a wide range of people? I should not growl.

"Some people would not wave..."
The street sweeper's name is Daryl. I bump into him about once a week and often stop to chat, since he called into my office years ago to ask about something. He is christian guy who while sweeping the streets is watching people and thinking, and often has amazing insights into life. While I was in Starbucks talking with my CEO he walked past down the footpath outside and saw me sitting at the table. He quickly averted his eyes, but I waved to him and thought nothing of it. When I saw him on my way back from the newspaper after 5 p.m. I went up to him and asked him how many hours a day he worked. We chatted and when I went to go away he said something which is quite sad in some ways. He said, "Cheers for stopping and chatting, I really appreciate it." Then he said, "Cheers for waving at me in Starbucks. A lot of people I know when they see me when they are with someone else, would not wave, they think its not ...." he hesitated... "the proper thing to do. But you waved and that was nice." ..... We can be such stupid snobs, can't we? But in the long run we miss out. He may be "just the street sweeper" but he adds to my life. I can multiply my total experience of life by seeing life through his eyes.

I am lucky... remind me of that from time to time.

No comments: