Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Monday morning

Get your funeral organised
I am a little bit grumpy. It is my day off and I am going to have to work to arrange a funeral for a family I don't know. I will probably do the funeral and enjoy the fact that I could be there for these people, but at the moment I feel differently. It serves me right. Just the other day I was driving past the funeral parlour and was thinking of how I could have got out of ministry, and that in three years time I will retire. I looked at this building and said to myself, "It will be so nice to know I will never have the responsibility of another funeral!" But when you think about it why should I take this funeral? I don't know them? I am trundling along leading an already busy life and these people will take it for granted that I will be there for them? That I should be there for them, after all he's a "man of God"? My week will be stressful? Every waking hour will be packed with work and there is the stress of trying to get it right for the family. ... Let me in love say that it would be a good idea if people thought about possible funeral celebrants before they died. Any body is allowed to take a funeral. It is much easier if you have some one you know. Line up a friend, a person with public speaking ability and ask them to be ready to fill the bill. I will do this funeral, but because of who I am and my already busy schedule it will be an incredibly stressful exercise.
Analysed by experts...
I met a man the other day who I had not met for over a year. We shook hands and he immediately asked, "Are you still a workaholic?" .... I stuttered and stumbled through some reply... What I would liked to have said is "I am NOT a workaholic!" Grrrr. I was talking with a woman I have known for a number of years, but we are more acquaintances than friends. She lives in another part of the country and was in town for her father-in-law's birthday. We were talking about a mutual friend and I was saying that he's quite a shy guy. As quick as a flash she said, "The same as you David. You are shy." Another in the conversation, again a visitor I have known for years, but not closely, offered, "David's a shy guy. He is a forced extrovert. He has to push himself to do the things he does." ... I stood there speechless. "How do you know who I am? What gives you the right to pontificate on my personality type?" I thought of saying. But being shy I smiled and said something stupid. So there you have it, I am a "shy, forced extrovert, workaholic." I have been analysed by experts.
Albert Schweitzer's wisdom..
Lecturing to graduating students the great man said these words; "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve" I wonder if he ever had "Ministers' Monday blues"?

No comments: