Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Browzing on Waiheke Island.


We had a borrowed car and wandered around different parts of Waiheke Island, we found it interesting.
It is a worry when...
We called at a little museum. It is run by volunteers and has interesting historical displays relating to the Island. They had little cottages, a police cell, and other buildings which had been transported there. They had all sorts of "historical" artifacts there and rooms done up according to various years. It is a worry when the artifacts on display are things that you either remember clearly in your life time, or even still use. There was a rotary hoe there which is a later model to the one I use! Many of the household utensils and farming type tools were things we had in our house or things I still use.
How the other half lives...
As we drove around the island we got the distinct impression that it is, among other things, a play ground for rich folk, often of the retired variety. There were lavish boats coming and going, fancy four wheel drives, Mercs and BMW's and very flash looking houses. I could not help but think of the growing gap between rich and poor in NZ. I know several skilled people who cannot find a job, who would love a job. Our prime minister keeps babbling on as if any one who is unemployed in NZ has only themselves to blame. That is simply NOT true. I know trained and reliable people who are trying their best to get work, but the competition for what jobs there are is so great. Mr Key intends to hit the welfare system. He is keeping the wages at a reasonably low rate, even though the prices for basic living items are rocketing upward. It can be very depressing not to have job. This is made worse when you are made to feel guilty for your predicament. (Having said that I do know that there are people who rip the welfare system off, and stupidly depend on welfare, enjoying a lazy lifestyle.... I am not naive... but don't brand all unemployed like that!)
I had a swim...
We went to a little bay called Little Oneroa. The beach there had lovely flat water that was relatively warm when you got into it. I had a long swim along the beach and back. I loved it. It is ages since I have had a swim of any description. I was pleased that I could swim quite well still, but also did know that I should swim more often. I will have to get up to the pool more often.
Work never goes away...
Yesterday I fielded a phone call about a chaplaincy. A guy in hospital I had hoped to visit before I left. The OSH health man at his work rang me. I have had emails to do with time sheets. This morning I settled down to do some and send them off. When you are beginning to relax it is surprising how the smallest work contact can tense you up again. Tomorrow we head down to Tongariro and on Friday I am hoping to walk the Tongariro crossing with my son. It is written up as one of the ten great day walks in the world, so I am looking forward to it.

No comments: