Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, February 27, 2011

She's on to it!

We have a beautiful Hungarian lady helping out around our church lately.... though unfortunately her visa runs out soon. We call her Emi. We employ her part time to do some stuff but she is getting into the church's life in wider ways also. She came to the drop-in centre two weeks ago, and fitted in beautifully. Last Friday night she was due to go out of town to a music festival. She decided for a number of reasons to stay in Dunedin and to help out at the Drop-in centre again. She explained that she knew I was away, that our other normal helpers are away and that my wife was having hassles finding replacements. She decided that was where she wanted to be. On Sunday as we talked briefly I thanked her very much for doing it. "No" she replied, "thank you! I enjoyed it!" "You would have been very tired by the end of the night?" I commented. "Yeees- " she said thoughtfully, "But - how do you say - it's a 'good' tired. - because .. because.. you're doing something... good." In English, in her beautiful Hungarian accent she struggled to communicate a central truth of the Christian faith... a truth many 'Christians' have not discovered. ... I grinned and said, "Yes I know what you're saying! - you're on to it!"

Jesus said, "If you lose your life you find it." .... It is exciting to see life and growth happening for her. ... I would love to grow a church made up of people who make this discovery.

No comments: