Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Monday musings.



I have usually done a Sunday night blog post. But yesterday I headed away on holiday for a few days. Here are some things I wish to share.

Doing OK. Am I getting better?

I led my normal Church service yesterday. As I was driving away on holiday I started thinking about recent services. It may be a mistaken view, but I think I am getting a little better at my Sunday services. Maybe I am just more confident, but yesterday’s one involved different elements. The congregation shared in “dialogues”, eating salted chips and receiving lights. Whether it was good or not, in preparation I am enjoying the variety of insights I get from various commentators via the internet.

Computers unite and divide.

After Church an 80 something year old man came to me (62) with a computer problem. A niece had emailed him a web address for a photo sharing site so that he could look at the photos of a recent trip she had. He could not find the site. I grabbed my lap top and showed him how to get on to the site and found the photos. But I was having difficulty trying to look at the photos at a decent size and in a controlled way. I called on my 30 something daughter. She joined in the problem solving as we projected the screen onto one of the big TV screens the Church has. We still had troubles, so a ten year old girl who was watching our antics correctly guided our efforts. An 80+, a 60+, a 30+ and a 10year old, all solving the big IT problem - It was a funny, warm and interesting experience.

Me “Normal”?

I drove to Christchurch last night and was blobbing out in front of TV with my son. We were watching the England/ Australia one-day cricket match. I seldom watch cricket these days. Since I coached schoolboy cricket for seven years some years ago, cricket as a game has fascinated me. I dare not start watching it, because I get hooked, watching the body language and the various strategies of bowlers and batsmen. I get the guilts. I should be working! I should be somewhere else! Last night I said to my son, “I better not watch it. I should go to bed.” “Why not?” he said. “You are on holiday. If you enjoy it, do it.” So I did. I did enjoy it. It would have been better if the Poms had won… but I enjoyed the battle. I thought that is probably what “normal” blokes do when cricket is on.

Photos:

Auckland from the Waiheke ferry and tropical plants on a warm Waiheke Island.

No comments: