Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Another special night


We sat "talking" with our host. An English/Polish dictionary was feverishly passed backward and forward to aid our learning about each other. I learned that this hard working man about my age had been a part of the struggle to bring democracy to Poland. He said to his daughters regarding that time in his life, "Your mother cried so often." He is a very proud and patriotic Polish man, who values intensely freedoms we in NZ take for granted. It was so moving to be allowed into this family's history. I hope in the rest of our touring we get the privilege to talk with locals. You discover precious differences, but also a sacred shared essential humanity, spirit and unity.

At one stage tonight the only way I could express my feelings was to take my host's hand and shake it warmly.

No comments: