Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This sentence rang bells

The last couple of days have been recovery days. We have napped when we have felt like it and just blobbed out. I have been reading the book, "A life on Gorge River - New Zealand's remotest family." It is the story of a man who gave up medical studies and now lives in a remote part of South Westland with his family. I am enjoying the book, though, in my opinion, it has its weaknesses. It is also making me a bit homesick. I have been known to say as I led up to this holiday, "I'd rather be tramping!" This book makes me yearn for NZ hills, though I am getting so much out of the experience of another culture here. I still need to make time to go tramping at home! Grrr

It was not these pros and cons that prompted this post. One sentence in the book jumped out and said, "That's my experience too!" - even though in a different setting. He is discussing the isolation he felt during winters at his hut. (before his marriage) As part of that he writes these words;

"I never actually feel totally alone since the spirit of creation fills my being and is my constant companion."

I love it. It gives expression to an essential discovery of my spirituality or discipleship in Jesus. Richard Long finds the divinity in the bush, ocean, mountains, weather and natural life. He does also find divinity in the friendships he has with locals.

I too find the divine companionship in the natural world, when I am walking in the bush even on familiar paths.... the leaves, the birds, the roots of trees and the weather etc. all give me a sense of connection with "LIFE" and the Spirit of creation. I experience the same when I am jogging or walking hills and pushing my body to its limits. Companionship comes too when I am digging spuds, collecting eggs, planting cabbages or splitting firewood.... sharing in and connecting to the processes of life I can say..."I never actually feel totally alone since the spirit of creation fills my being and is my constant companion."

I also find that same spirit in ministry, in sharing with people and in giving myself to compassionate, life-enhancing causes or causes that address the imbalances and inequalities of life. ... times of friendship at the drop-in centre, sitting talking at my chaplaincy sites, leading in a sad funeral, hammering till my arm aches on a Habitat site, sharing in life-enhancing experiences or listening intently as people tell of sad or triumphant experiences. Again and again I could say, "I never actually feel totally alone since the spirit of creation fills my being and is my constant companion." I sense a connection with the same spirit which has motivated and energised all compassionate and just actions.

It seems also my lot to find myself differing with the world around me. In Church circles, in Habitat for Humanity, at times in the chaplaincy organisation and in other places I am sometimes driven to a sense of despair, depression and questioning myself. I feel often that I am out of step with everyone else in my theology, values, perspectives, methods and goals. But even in these dark holes ... "I never actually feel totally alone since the spirit of creation fills my being and is my constant companion." Some how "He/She" is in the journey.

There are times too when I battle. Life is not always black and white, clear cut and I am often confused, tempted toward irresponsibility and failing or conflicted about the call of responsible, unselfish love. Even then my experience can be described as... "I never actually feel totally alone since the spirit of creation fills my being and is my constant companion." At these times I experience the divine compassion, an understanding, accepting and supportive presence.

Anyway I loved this sentence in the book.... just gotta tell someone... may as well be you.

No comments: