Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, June 7, 2012

People, people and more people.

The "Round table" and in the background couch & coffee table where much discussion takes place in Space2B
I am sitting in my office having a break before our Friday night Drop-in centre starts. Today I came in to the office with lots of things I had to do. I had some administrative things to do. I had to visit a chaplaincy site, as well as do my normal Friday Chaplaincies. But my day has not got started really. A group was going to use our drop-in area for a meeting so I went up there to tidy it up, and sweep the stairs. I then came down to my office to check emails. A couple who head away on a big OE for three months came in and took my wife and I out for coffee. I came back to the Church and began to talk with an Iraqi man who was visiting Space2B while his wife was next door at Women Across Cultures. (He had an interesting question. He said he heard a young woman say she was "Naked" and yet she was clothed? After asking lots of questions we worked out that she was saying "Knackered" and we had to explain what that was. Then he asked us to explain the "Brass Monkey" Motorbike Rally. Why "Brass Monkey"?  That took some explaining. He told us that he once got "gay" and "guy" confused with hilarious results. It is interesting seeing our language and idioms from another point of view.) Our conversation was interrupted by a Japanese lady who wanted to ask various questions, take photos and exchange email addresses. She runs a settlement group in town and wanted to work in with us. The Iraqi and I went on to talk about all sorts of things including religion, his faith and mine. Others joined us and I was sort of stuck there, even though I needed to go over to St John Ambulance. The morning was completely gone with no "work" work done. I went to St John and talked to people there going through tough times. Back at the Church there were others I had to talk with. At around three the fire stations were expecting me so I went there to converse with yet another group of people, then to a wedding rehearsal. The whole day has been used up in talking with people and my plans for the day have gone out the window! In exactly half an hour, at 6:30 p.m. I will open the door to our drop in centre folk and I will have another three hours of conversing with people. (We ended up having at least 50 people through!) Sometimes my St John Ambulance paramedics will joke and say, "This job would be great if it wasn't for the patients!" My job would be a lot easier to get through if I did not have to talk with people! I guess it is my job... but other deadlines await!


The Drop-in centre a minute before opening time.


Not long after opening... 40+ people have arrived. (many hidden behind the counter and piano. )

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

I suspect that talking to people is truly the most important part of your job!