Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Where did the time go?

At a Church christmas party, probably 1965 four of us from the youth group mimed the Beatles and joked about them. I'm Ringo Star. (on the drums)
On the drive home tonight I turned on the car radio, which I seldom do. The Beatle's song, "When I'm 64" was played. It came out in 1967 when I was about 18. I had begun dating my wife by then.  I remember enjoying the song and wondering if I would be with this girl when I'm 64? I remember walking home from a date one night feeling conflicted.  "This relationship is getting pretty serious, do I want it to be that serious?"  I remember too, that age 64 seemed a long way off... that is ancient when you are 17 going on 18!

The radio announcer tonight said that today was Sir Paul McCartney's 70th Birthday! This year too, I turn the age of 64! My question is, where did the time go? It feels like it was only yesterday that I was a teenager enjoying Beatles music? How come I am coming up to 64? How come my second favourite Beatle is 70? I don't feel that old? I feel like I am still exploring and learning? I still feel a certain amount of adolescent insecurity? Where did all those years go?

Anyway she's still with me and I'm nearly 64.

No comments: