Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Let us bow...."...."If we must."


I have been tidying papers around my desk and came upon the following composition. I recently took my turn at leading a prayer at the beginning of a Dunedin City Council meeting. I hate doing stuff like that. I can imagine what is going through councillors minds... "Bloody tradition! ... This old religious git seizing his opportunity to shove outdated modes of thinking down our throat!" Indeed the way they shuffled to their feet and the way a number came in late reminded me of our reaction as school pupils to the regular "Lord's Prayer" at school assemblies at Otago Boys High School. They seemed about as unenthusiastic. I feel sorry for secular people made to endure religious tradition that they no longer adhere to. Anyway here is my composition for the occasion. I share it not because it is notable but because its my fumbling attempt to reach the secular mind in this secular setting where a traditional prayer is expected.

"Let us bow...

We pause briefly in the busyness of life to remember and recognise that there are values that move us forward that transcend religion, race and culture. These are values that are eternal in nature, a part of the make up of human existence, truths to which we are all ultimately responsible.

One of these is the deep truth that we are all connected.... that essentially all people are brothers and sisters together on this journey of history and life..... In prayer we recognise that we have a responsibility toward one another and for others' well being.

A second essential truth is that we are connected to this planet. That just as the cells of our body each contribute to our personal health and well being, so we are part of this large organism that we call earth...... In prayer we recognise that we have responsibility for its ongoing health and well being.

Lord God, you are in all and through all, you are in our midst and the source of all goodness and love. Thank you for these special people who have a common commitment to our community here in Dunedin. They have a special task in our city and it is good that they take their responsibility seriously. Thank you that you will speak through them as they deliberate, that you will bring wisdom and understanding. May the eternal values be allowed to emerge in their discussions and ultimately be given expression in the life of our city.

I pray in Jesus name.

Amen."

Photo: Dunedin City from the top of Mt Cargill.

No comments: