Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Life is short...

Since the death of my friend I have been thinking how very brief life is. We had a 37 year old friendship but it does not seem long ago that we were all young men thinking we were God's gift to the world.... now he's gone.... It seems like it was a blink of an eye.... and what have I achieved in that time? I still feel uncertain about many things and myself. I thought I might "grow up" some day?

I was reminded this morning of this when my wife read a name out of the "deaths" in the paper. There was a man, I am unsure of his age but about my age, who I roomed with when we did our chaplaincy training together in 1993. He was a keen pastor, now dead and gone.

Eeek ... my contemporaries are dying and I still have heaps more I want to do in life. I want to achieve more in my ministry.... try to evolve and experiment with new shapes for church life. I want to go on more tramps. I want to read more, reflect more and do some systematic theologising of my own, to express where I am and what I think is important. I want get back to self-sufficiency as a lifestyle. I want to explore the computer/cyberworld more. I guess I am realising with a bit of sadness, that I will never get to do these. Excuse me... "Bugger!"

Message to younger people... don't drift ... life soon goes.

No comments: