Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday burblings


It is Monday and I have had a day off ministry. I normally burble on Sunday evening but we were out for dinner.

Highlights from last week.

People sharing... On Wednesday we had the final of a "Healing Grief" series of three. It was a good evening and we felt sorry to break up. We had met for three weeks and shared some of our stories. I appreciated the way people shared. Some people have had a lot of "grief" in their life and yet stay positive. I decided that although my "griefs" are real, and need to be recognised, I have lived a relatively charmed life.

Giving Blood.... In spite of my age and the meds I am on the Blood Bank still want my blood. I try to be "cool" about this process but it does get at me these days. I have to fill out questions about where I have been, if I have had sex with a certain range of people and what medications I am on. They always take my blood pressure these days, "Because of your age." They ask questions like, "Did you handle you last donation OK?" like you are a feeble old man. This time the nurse didn't quite get the flow going from the vein in my right arm, so decided to try again in my left. So I came out with two patches and starting to feel a bit like a leper, having been scrutinised so carefully. 

Morning Soccer with "excluded people" was again a real privilege. Great fun to see the delight when people score a goal and great friendship. I was a bit stiff. 

Firefighters' Strike ... My firefighters are renegotiating their contract. In the process they feel that what is on offer from the fireservice is not acceptable and indeed a backing off on what had been promised or suggested. They had a low level strike action going with periodic refusals to do computer work, but I learned on Friday it has been stepped up. When I began in chaplaincy I walked into a long and bitter industrial battle at the firestations. The tension and anger was incredible and damaging to people, families and the whole tenor of the workplace. I HOPE it does not return to that sort of "negotiation". 

Warning of a Night off..... We are planning a bit of a break this coming weekend so we told the Drop-in centre people that we would be closing for next Friday night. Many expressed disappointment, even though they said things like, "You deserve a break." The most touching comment was from a Maori guy, who has sometimes called me a racist. He came up and shook my hand and asked, "Are you going to leave us Dave?" "No" I said, "Not yet, I am a bit like a bad penny, I keep turning up." He grinned and said, "That's good, you're pretty important to us." I got the message during the night that in spite of the fact that they seem to take us for granted, the Drop-in was an important part of their life.

Saturday confusing identity.... On Saturday I went to the Habitat site, put on my overalls and dug up a water pipe. With trucks crossing it the pipe had sprung a leak. I got wet and muddy repairing the pipe. I then helped start to put weatherboard on the house. I was annoyed. I think we need to mark out and prepare the walls before we turn volunteers loose on weatherboard. It makes it easier for them and helps them feel good about the work, rather than struggling to fix up muck ups. We had not done that so people were struggling with the tasks we were giving them. Today I have spent time alone on site redeeming the situation for next Saturday.

Just after midday I rushed home. Scrambled out of my muddy gear, showered, shaved, suited up, polished my shoes and headed in to conduct a wedding in the grounds of the University. I returned to Habitat after the wedding, then came home to work on power points for Sunday's service.

Who was I? The muddy plumber? The carpenter "team leader" showing people how to put on weatherboard? The celebrant? (I was asked to lead a secular ceremony) or the Church minister? I am glad to say, I was me, with the same motivations in my core being, expressing those passions in different ways.

Weddings annoy... Often the behaviour of people surrounding weddings annoy me. The purpose gets lost in the "production". The bride looks done up unrealistically, as do others in the wedding party. (There were nine croomsmen, in penguin suits, and nine bridesmaids!) If I got married again (a very unlikely scenario) it would be a small cosy, friendly affair.

Birthday gathering... On Sunday evening we were invited to a small gathering of Indian folk who were celebrating the birthday of one of the Indian women in our congregation. The food... delicious and generous. The hospitality... warm and inclusive.... if overly respectful (They insist on calling me "Pastor" and giving me all sorts of honour... first to get served, saying grace, leading a concluding prayer etc. etc.) It was just a nice warm night.

Exercise.. Sunday ... a walk. Monday... a bike ride. Wednesday.. walking group (slow walk) and a run... Thursday ... soccer. ... Friday.. Table Tennis... Saturday... Building work...Sunday... a walk.

I grump and I growl, but I lead an interesting, charmed and privileged life really.

Photo: Returning to the Habitat site after the wedding.

 

No comments: