Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Soccer blast...

I play soccer with a group of people, some with intellectual disabilities, others with mental health issues. It is an hour of pure fun. A lovely lady Johanna from PACT convenes it and there are a few care workers join in the fun. They are to me, "Soccer Saints". They love the people they have responsibility for.

It is such a blast! All of us trying our best to get the ball into the opposition goal. It is good also to see people sharing the ball around, great to see the absolute joy when someone gets a goal or some other manages even just to stop the ball and kick it in the right direction. They clap one another even when the good player is on the other team. We have to be a bit flexible on the rules, but it is great to be with people who just play sport for the sheer enjoyment. They compete, but at the same time it is just fun! I do it because I think it is good to encourage these guys' fitness, but I am finding I do it just because I enjoy it. I laughed, as I left today a voice from in their van called out, "See ya old man!" I'll beat him in Table Tennis at the drop-in, just wait and see.

We are hoping to take a team to a street footy tournament in Wellington in November. We are also eyeing up the Masters Games. Watch this space... it will happen.

No comments: