Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, August 6, 2009

"Professional loneliness".... but...

I am re-reading Henri Nouwen's book, "The Wounded Healer". In it he talks about the minister experiencing "Professional loneliness". I identified with what he said, that's how I felt Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. He has this sentence which rang bells with me...

"Many Churches decorated with words announcing salvation and new life are often little more than parlors for those who feel quite comfortable in the old life, and who are not likely to let the minister's words change their stone hearts into furnaces where swords can be cast into plowshares, and spears into pruning hooks."

I know I am a bit of an "oddball" but often I find it difficult to find people in the congregation or leadership who are on the same wavelength and it can feel very lonely.

But... yesterday I walked a half a block from the church to a store to buy something. On the way there I was warmly greeted by a retired fire officer. I remembered times I had spent with him. He emerged once from a burning house and called me in to give support to the owner. It was interesting.
I carried on to the store and the cashier was Ben, a young man I first met as a 13 year old at our Ocean Grove program. I taught him to play table tennis and pool. I recall we talked schooling, homework, sport and life in general. It was quite neat, the cashier in the next till offered to serve me because he was free, but Ben said, "No I will serve that man!" He told me all about his 16 month old son, his partner and their plans for a wedding.
On the way back to the office I was greeted warmly by the owner of the first Habitat for Humanity house in Dunedin. I recall it took us about 2 years to build it. His wife made lovely scones. It was a steep learning curve. But once again, it was nice to be greeted so warmly.

I experience loneliness in ministry, yet in a short walk down the street I encounter 3 people who I have a positive "history" with and am greeted warmly by. It really is a privilege.

No comments: