Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week's end report...


I have come to an end of another busy week. 

Space2B We started an aspect of church life earlier in the year, that I have a dream will evolve into a different shaped church. We open the back part of our church up for two hours at lunch time and people can come in, have a drink and relax. We called it "Space2B". As well as this we want to attach to Space2B workshops or projects that serve needs in the community. Well in the week just past two projects have come to fruition. Last week we opened up our Church on Wednesdays as a resource centre for new settlers to come, get information and make social contacts. (Settlement resource@Space2B) We had our grand opening which was fine, but this last Wednesday was the first real day. There was a number of people who came and went throughout the time, people shared stories and resources. As I sat there I thought, "It's working!". It will be the first of other projects which will evolve around Space2B. The second was a "Healing Grief" group that started. It felt "right" and again we hope it will be the first of a whole lot of workshops we will explore together. I am watching members of the community relaxing and relating in positive, healthy, life-giving ways in this old church. It feels "right".

New faces There are some new faces in church. It would be nice to have a "growing church". I know that bums on pews are not what its all about, but it is nice if you feel new people are appreciating what you are doing.

Night Shelter Street Appeal. On Friday morning and Saturday morning I collected for the night shelter. I stood on a street corner (Friday) and hardware store entrance way (Saturday) holding a bucket, eyeballing people in the hope that they would give me some spare change for the night shelter. It is an interesting study in human behaviour. I could write a thesis on "100 ways to avoid eye contact with a street collector!" People looked soo funny avoiding me and nearly died when I said a cheery "Good morning" as they walked past. I think I would have been better to have donated the piddly little amount I collected and spent Saturday morning at the Habitat site. As it was I received several phone calls from there during the over two hour stint, and the question, "When can you get here?" 

Friendships I am not good at making friends but I think I have a few more than I realise. This week a number of people I have thought of as aquaintances have made offers or conversed as if they saw me as a friend. It is nice to know you are accepted. Friends you can relax with and talk openly with are so good... I think I am a loner but I experienced warmth of support from a few people this week which made me feel like maybe I am not so odd afterall.

Drop-in Centre I have told you about the tension filled nights at our drop-in centre with arguments and fights. I threatened to shut the centre, but on Friday evening we had a peaceful night, and some warm contacts. I had people come to me and plead with me saying, "You wouldn't shut it down on us would you? What would we do without it?" I had one guy ask me how long we had run it. I replied, "Just over fourteeen years." He looked at me with admiration and said, "Well done. That's a bloody good effort. It's a good show." 

Summary: I have dreams, and hunches for how to express the Christian faith today... how to be the "church". I am often at odds with the "normal" perpectives for what should happen in a successful church, and I often think, "Am I off the wall? Crazy? or really missing the point for being and doing who I am?" This past week there were enough glimpses to suggest that maybe I am not so crazy. Next week might be different though.

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Is it not a good thing to be a "loner", and self-reliant to boot? You seem able to come up with great ideas, like Space2B and the "new settlers" initiative, and implement them quickly and easily. I daresay a committee of wishy-washy types, who have no shortage of friends to impress, would get hardly anything useful off the ground. I have read a lot of what you write, and not once have I thought you were "crazy"; maybe a little "soft" on people who deserve a kick up the arse -- but, then, I don't have your experience or insight, and it's obvious you are the best man for this "job". You know, it's the "job" that may be crazy, not you...

Dave Brown said...

:-) I do think the "job" and the traditional expectations are crazy. In trying to change that I get stuck in the middle... keeping up some sort of "normal" approach to church life, while also exploring new shapes. A bit hard.

Getting Space2B off the ground has in a sense taken years and not without battles. Still has a long way to go.

I have a good friend and we were walking and talking about my life and ministry once and she retorted, "Yeah, but you're an idiot!" with tongue in cheek. I am a bit off the wall, but it helps. :-)

Anthony said...

>> Getting Space2B off the ground has in a sense taken years and not without battles. <<

I didn't mean to sidestep the amount of effort that's been put in.