Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, August 6, 2009

No sex!?

I was among a group of guys recently. One of the guys, a good deal younger than I, with a bit of humour was telling us a story about an experience he had.  As he told his story another interjected and jokingly suggested that at this point in the story he was probably having sex with his wife. "No", said our story teller, "We've been married 29 years, there's none of that these days!"

Good Grief! I think that's sad. I hear it often. Couples sleeping in separate beds, even separate bedrooms, and married men, still relatively young, saying it's a distant memory.  I guess each to their own, but I see making love as a great "gift of God" to be relished and enjoyed. Its the way adults keep playing together and ensures a certain bonding. It releases tension and I think I read some where, helps our immune system. Maybe I am immature? ... but I still like it and I have been married 40 years!

We are all different. There are no rules or performance requirements. So long as both are happy with what happens.  I am thankful to be where I am though. I wish, however, when people mention that they have stopped "having it", that they would not assume that it is inevitable. It is often just assumed that if you hang around with the same woman long enough you stop "doing it".  The reason they give is the length of time they have been married, and it is assumed that is true for everyone. They may choose that way, but don't expect it to be inevitable for everyone.

No comments: