Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Healer, heal yourself"

I was reading on line about M Scott Peck. I have enjoyed his books... his earlier books in particular. I found that he took things like "grace" "Love" and "growth" and made sense out of them. I was disappointed in one of his later books to read his "confession" that he had had affairs, because it seemed inconsistent with his "discipline" and "delayed gratification" approach to growth and life.

Last night I read an article that in a sense exposed him even more. He was addicted to gin and smoking (well he had admitted that in one of his books...but not to the extent that this article seemed to suggest) His wife of 43 years walked out and he was estranged from some of his children. He had a new wife. (he is now dead.)

It was a strange feeling. His writings make so much sense and they had excited me and still help me understand life. But this man I had thought had it all together was in a bit of a mess in his private life! Even in his own inner life. He did things I would disagree with which seemed contrary to his writings. I guess I was aware of them, and of the possibility and I did not always agree with some of his stuff, but the reminder made me feel disappointed, let down and a bit betrayed.

But this has often happened to me. I recall one sermon I preached, I got books out of my library written by "saints of God" who had really helped me. At important times in my journey each of these writers had made a significant contribution to my life and directions. But each writer ended up "falling from Grace" in the church scene by having an affair or affairs. When you look through the Bible, some of the great men of God were no saints. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, all had pretty shady things in their lives. I am aware too, that if you knew all about me, and my "secret thoughts" you would probably not read this blog. You may even say, "How can he be a minister?"

It says something about the fallibility of us all but also something about our greatness. We, who are imperfect people, can still make a great contribution, even though we are not saints. We are all travellers on the journey of life, rising and falling, achieving and stumbling, growing and depleting but we can learn from each other's journey. I believe it makes forgiveness and tolerance important. It does not condone destructive behaviour, but it is the recognition that none of us is perfect, we all have bad and good within us. Again, "We are pilgrims on a journey, we are kindred on the road, we are here to help each other, walk the mile and bear the load."

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I don't think you need to be disappointed in him. Who can "cast the first stone" at him? I don't trust any man who doesn't have a vice. Quite often (more often than not, actually) people who seem able to give great advice rarely follow it themselves.

So he loved to drink and smoke, and gave in to the pangs of lust... Well, it's sort of a relief, really. The author is human after all.

The older I get, the more sure I become that none of us are in a position to condemn others for their shortcomings. The seeds of even heinous actions are within all of us, and not so very deep down really.

A very human man can still write about ideals. He gives his readers something to strive for, but no person will ever attain that sort of perfection, the author included.

Dave Brown said...

I agree with your comment. One of the hassles I have had is that when I quote one of these writers, and people know of their indesgressions, they say in effect, "Well you know what he was like?!" and write off his wisdom. I am convinced that some of our greatest thinkers and visionaries have an inbuilt tendency to "fall" partly because they feel and taste life so fully. None of us have walked in the other's shoes so we cannot say what we would do if we were them. Perhaps my disappointment is jealousy? :-) Thanks for your comment.